Best Home Remedies for Acidity
The stomach normally secretes acid that is essential in the digestive process. This acid helps in breaking down the food during digestion. When there is excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach, it results in the condition known as acidity. It causes a stomach ache, gas, nausea, bad breath and other symptoms. It is a common problem that affects people of all ages.
Those who suffer frequently from acidity problems may refer to having an “acid stomach.” Eating spicy foods, lack of exercise, irregular eating habits, stress, or drinking alcohol frequently can lead to acidity problems.
Some simple natural remedies can be used to treat stomach acidity. For instance, simply drinking a little water will help neutralize and flush out excess acid from your stomach.
If you frequently suffer from acidity, drink a glass of lukewarm water every day before going to sleep and immediately after waking up in the morning. Do not drink water during or immediately after a meal though, as it can lead to improper digestion that can contribute to acidity.
There are many more simple ingredients available at home that can be used to get relief from stomach acidity.
Here are the best home remedies for acidity.
1. Cold Milk
Milk can help stabilize gastric acids in the stomach and give you relief from acidity. Milk is rich in calcium, which prevents build-up of stomach acid. Simply drink a glass of cold milk to prevent or soothe acidity problems.
Next time you suffer from acidity, try these remedies. If you do not get relief within a day or two, consult a doctor.
2. Basil Leaves
The soothing and carminative properties of basil leaves can give you instant relief from acidity, gas and nausea.
- Simply eat some basil leaves at the first sign of acid upset. Be sure to chew them thoroughly.
- Another option is to boil three to five basil leaves in a cup of water and then let it simmer for a few minutes. You can sweeten this basil tea with honey. Do not add milk, though. Sip it frequently.
Cinnamon is good for your digestive health. It works as a natural antacid and helps dispel stomach gas.
- Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water.
- Boil it for few minutes.
- Drink this cinnamon tea two to three times a day.
You can also add cinnamon powder to your soup or salad.
Another simple home remedy for acidity is buttermilk. It contains lactic acid that normalizes the acidity in the stomach. You can buy buttermilk or make it yourself.
- Grind half to one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with a little water to make a paste. Mix it in a glass of buttermilk and consume it to relieve stomach ache caused by acidity.
- Or, you can simply drink buttermilk several times a day until you get relief. Mix in a little black pepper or one tablespoon of coriander leaf juice for best results.
The anti-inflammatory properties in ginger help treat acidity. Ginger juice can also neutralize stomach acids.
- During acidity just chew a slice of fresh ginger.
- You can also put some fresh ginger slices in a cup of boiling water, let it steep for a few minutes and then drink it.
- Even a spoonful of ginger juice taken two to three times a day can provide relief from acidity.