Vinegar a very common kitchen item is amazing product not only for making food but also for skin and hair. Its made up of acetic acid and water. Its widely used in industrial, medical and domestic area and also has become a vital ingredient in skin and hair care products.
The outer layer of hair also known as cuticle is made up of overlapping layers of scales and cover the whole hair as shown below. Appearance of hair depends on the condition of cuticle.
- Hair look smooth if cuticle is unbroken.
- When scales of cuticles are tightly overlapped then they give a shine to hair by reflecting light.
- Common impression of shampoo is that it dry hair, in real shampoo open up the cuticle scales making hair look dull, rough and dry.
How Vinegar works on hair?
Vinegar closes cuticles by removing dead scales and residue caused by cleansing of hair using shampoo. Removing dead part brings out the shine. Moisturizing content of vinegar get penetrated in to cuticle's scales making them soft and over locked again. This give hair strength and make them tangle free.
Vinegar is an excellent tonic for scalp also. When applied to scalp it enhances blood circulation as well as remove dandruff. And of course with improved blood circulation and no dandruff scalp will grow healthy hair.
Best Vinegar for hair:
As we know there are many varieties of vinegar available in market so it get hard to chose whats best for hair.
- Apple Cider Vinegar(ACV) is more commonly used as it suits almost every hair type.
- Less processed plain white vinegar also works perfect for hair.
- If both or either of the above dries hair then best option is wine vinegar as its known to be more moisturizing then above.
How to use:
- Vinegar can be applied before and after shampoo. Works fine both ways. You can also try both methods one by one and choose whats best for you.
- Mix three part plain white vinegar with one part water. If you are using apple cider vinegar then mix one part ACV with ten parts of water.
- Rinse off hair with this mixture. Apply wide tooth comb for even application as well as massage scalp for vinegar to get into roots. Be extra soft while combing and massaging else you may weaken hair root causing hair fall. Let it stay on for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse out your hair thoroughly. Apply shampoo if you haven't applied before.
- Dry out normally and enjoy lovely hair.